General Tso’s Chicken is a popular dish at Chinese restaurants across many countries, and now you can make this delicious meal right in your own home! Whether for a quick weeknight dinner or to impress family and friends with your cooking skills, General Tso’s Chicken is sure to please.
With it’s savory sweet flavors and crispy coating it can be enjoyed by any palate. In this blog post we will show you how to make an authentic version of this classic dish that rivals restaurant quality using just a few ingredients easily found in most kitchens. So let’s get started!
What is General Tso’s Chicken ?
General Tso’s Chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish with a sweet and savory flavor. It consists of deep-fried chunks of chicken coated in a sticky sauce made from soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, sugar, and sesame oil. The pieces of chicken are usually served over fried or steamed rice.
General Tso’s Chicken nutrition facts:
General Tso’s Chicken is a nutritious meal because it contains many healthy ingredients such as lean chicken, vegetables, and low-fat sauces. A serving of General Tso’s Chicken typically has between 200-300 calories, 10-15 grams of fat, and 10-20 grams of protein. It also provides some dietary fiber and important vitamins and minerals such as iron and calcium.
What goes in General Tso’s Chicken?
In order to make an authentic General Tso’s Chicken, you will need the following ingredients:
– 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1 inch cubes)
– 3/4 cup cornstarch
– 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 4 cloves garlic (minced)
– 1 teaspoon grated ginger root
– 3 tablespoons soy sauce
– 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
– 2 teaspoons sugar
– 1 teaspoon sesame oil
– Optional: chilli flakes or hot sauce for added heat.
Once you have all the ingredients ready, it is time to start cooking! Follow these simple steps to create a delicious version of General Tso’s Chicken:
1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine the cornstarch and chicken cubes and mix until evenly coated.
3. Add the chicken to the hot oil and fry for 3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides.
4. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess grease then set aside.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together garlic, ginger, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and sesame oil to make the sauce for your General Tso’s Chicken
6. Pour this mixture into the same pan that you fried your chicken in and bring to a boil while stirring constantly.
7. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 3 minutes until the sauce thickens
8. Add your chicken back into the pan with the sauce and stir everything together until evenly coated then serve over steamed rice or noodles.
How to Make General Tso’s Chicken:
• 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch cubes
• 3 eggs
• ¼ cup cornstarch
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
For the Sauce:
• ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
• 2 tablespoons brown sugar
• 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
• 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
• ½ teaspoon sesame oil
1. In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and cornstarch until blended. Add in chicken cubes, baking powder and vegetable oil and mix until all the pieces are coated.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat with enough oil to cover half of the chicken once added to pan. Working in batches, carefully place each piece of chicken into the hot oil and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until golden-brown. Once done cooking remove from pan and onto plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
3. In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar, garlic and ginger until combined.
4. Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium heat and add in sauce mixture. Cook for 1 minute or until it starts to thicken slightly.
5. Add cooked chicken into the skillet with the sauce and toss to coat evenly. Let cook for an additional 3 minutes or until chicken is heated through and sauce has thickened up a bit more.
6. Serve General Tso’s Chicken warm over steamed rice or noodles of choice
Notes: If you want extra spiciness you can also add red pepper flakes as desired!
Tips for the Best Tso’s Chicken
1. Make sure to use fresh ingredients like garlic and ginger for the best tasting results.
2. The key to a crispy chicken is ensuring that it is evenly coated with cornstarch before cooking.
3. Don’t overcrowd your pan when frying the chicken, this will result in soggy chicken instead of a nice crisp texture!
4. Let the sauce simmer for longer than 3 minutes if you want an extra thick coating on the chicken.
5. Always serve General Tso’s Chicken warm for optimal flavor.
What to serve with General Tso’s Chicken
General Tso’s Chicken is a popular Chinese-American dish. It is sweet and spicy, with a slightly fiery flavor from chili peppers. To balance out the flavors of General Tso’s Chicken, it is best to serve it alongside plain steamed white rice or noodles.
Other classic accompaniments include stir-fried vegetables such as broccoli, bell pepper, carrots, and mushrooms; egg rolls or spring rolls; and wontons filled with pork or another savory filling.
For added texture and color, pickled cucumber slices are also an excellent side dish for this flavorful entrée. A light soup, such as egg drop or hot and sour soup, also goes well with General Tso’s Chicken.
If you’re looking for a healthier option, try serving the dish with a simple salad made from fresh greens and vegetables. Finally, round out your meal with some hot tea or a cold beer to help cool down the spice.
How To Store General Tso’s Chicken
Any leftover General Tso’s Chicken should be stored in an airtight container and kept in the refrigerator. It should be eaten within 3 days of being cooked to ensure food safety. If you want to enjoy it later, you can freeze the dish for up to 2 months. When reheating, make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through before serving.
FAQs: How to Make General Tso’s Chicken
How long will General Tso’s Chicken keep in the refrigerator?
If stored correctly, General Tso’s Chicken can be kept in an airtight container for up to 4 days. It’s best to store the cooked chicken separately from the sauce and reheat before serving.
Can I freeze General Tso’s Chicken?
Yes, you can freeze General Tso’s Chicken for up to 3 months. Allow it cool completely before storing in freezer-safe containers or bags. When ready to serve, thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat on the stovetop or microwave until heated through.
What is General Tso’s sauce made of?
General Tso’s sauce is typically made with a base of oyster sauce, soy sauce and rice vinegar. It can also include other ingredients like brown sugar, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce and chili peppers for added spice.
What kind of meat is General Tso Chicken?
General Tso’s Chicken is usually made with chicken breast or thigh meat, but other kinds of poultry such as turkey breast can also be used. If you are vegetarian or vegan, you can substitute the meat with your preferred plant-based protein like tofu.
What dishes go well with General Tso’s Chicken?
The spiciness of General Tso’s Chicken is balanced out by plain steamed white rice or noodles, as well as stir-fried vegetables such as broccoli and bell pepper. Egg rolls or spring rolls and wontons filled with pork or another savory filling make excellent accompaniments for this entrée. Pickled cucumber slices, a light soup such as egg drop or hot and sour soup, and a simple salad of fresh greens and vegetables are also great options. Finally, hot tea or a cold beer helps to cool down the spice.
Is General Tso’s Chicken spicy?
General Tso’s Chicken has a slightly fiery flavor from chili peppers and is usually considered mild to moderately spicy. If you like your dishes extra spicy, you can always add more chili peppers or increase the amount of red pepper flakes when preparing the sauce. On the other hand, if you want less heat in your dish, reduce these ingredients or leave them out entirely.
How do I make my General Tso’s Chicken crispy?
The key to making crispy General Tso’s Chicken is to ensure that the chicken pieces are completely dry before frying. Once they have been dredged in cornstarch, let them sit on a plate or rack for 10-15 minutes before frying. Additionally, you can also increase the heat of your oil to 375°F (190°C) when cooking and use a deep fryer if available. This will help give the chicken a crispier texture. Finally, make sure to drain any excess oil from the cooked chicken before adding it to the sauce for better flavor and texture.
Where does General Tso’s Chicken come from?
General Tso’s Chicken is named after an officer in the Qing Dynasty during the 19th century and has become popular in American Chinese cuisine since the 1950s. It is believed that the dish originated in Taiwan and was subsequently brought to mainland China before being exported to the United States. The original version of General Tso’s Chicken wasn’t spicy, but modern recipes have added chili peppers and other spices for more flavor.
How do I make my General Tso’s Chicken healthier?
To make healthier versions of General Tso’s Chicken, you can use less oil or switch to a healthier cooking oil such as olive or avocado oil when sautéing your chicken. Additionally, try reducing the amount of sugar and salt in your sauce. You can also substitute some or all of the cornstarch with arrowroot powder if desired.
Is General Tso Chicken just orange chicken?
No, General Tso’s Chicken is not the same as orange chicken. While both dishes are popular Chinese-American entrees, they have different flavor profiles and preparation methods. Orange chicken usually features a sweeter sauce and is typically served with steamed vegetables instead of fried chicken pieces.
General Tso’s Chicken is a Chinese-American dish that has been around since the 1950’s and it’s beloved by food lovers all over the world. It has a unique blend of sweet and spicy flavors, as well as being hearty and comforting at the same time.
Making your own General Tso’s Chicken at home doesn’t have to be complicated. With a few simple ingredients and steps, you can create a delicious dinner dish that everyone will love. You can even mix in some vegetables to give it extra flavor and texture. Whether you make it classic or get creative with your own variations, General Tso’s Chicken is sure to please!
William Lariviere is a chef and restaurateur with over 25 years of experience in the food industry. He is the owner and operator of Swartzsdeli.com, an online restaurant that specializes in gourmet sandwiches and salads, grill & smoke. He likes to share experience, food, recipes cooking knowledge as well as reviews about restaurant and kitchen products.
William’s goal is to provide his customers with healthy, delicious food that is also affordable and develop Swartzsdeli.com into a comprehensive information site specializing in cooking and cuisine to a new level to help reach a wide range of housewives and readers.